You can give your mobile phone, phone number and contract to another person or a company that will continue to use the service and accept legal responsibility for paying the bills. We call this changing ownership of your phone.
We also call it changing ownership when you switch from a prepaid service to a monthly plan.
You won't pay a penalty fee for transferring ownership of your phone to someone else, even if you have a contract. All monthly and prepaid plans can be transferred, however, if you had per-second billing, it won't be possible to carry it over to the new subscriber.
To change ownership:
- Ensure your account balance is up to date.
- Visit your nearest Bell Store with the person taking ownership of your account.
- The store will ensure your personal information is removed from the phone and will complete the transfer.
Note: You are responsible for the usage and paying the bill until the transfer of responsibility is accepted and completed under the new subscriber's name.
- If the new subscriber has or ever had an account with Bell Mobility, the balance must be up to date.
- Both the current subscriber and the new subscriber must visit a Bell Store to remove all personal information from the phone and complete the transfer.
- If the new subscriber doesn’t already have an account with us, we'll need to do a credit check and will require 2 of the following pieces of ID:
Date of birth or driver's license number, valid credit card number or social insurance number
- To switch ownership between two existing monthly accounts (phones and phone numbers), we charge a one-time fee of $20 per phone and bill each new subscriber on their first invoice.
- If you want to change the ownership of your monthly account and the new customer wants to switch to Prepaid service, we'll charge a one-time charge of $50 per account, which includes a start-up credit of $15 valid for 60 days from the transfer date.
- There is no service charge for changing ownership between two Prepaid accounts, since we don't require a credit check.
Good to know
- If you have a security deposit on your account, it will be applied automatically towards any outstanding balance and a refund will be issued by cheque (within 4 to 6 weeks) or by credit card (within 10 business days) depending on the way you originally paid.
- If you are transferring a Prepaid phone and have funds remaining on your account, they aren't refundable. However, the new subscriber can use them.
- The new subscriber can choose to keep the same phone number or to change the number.
Tip: Remember to delete all your personal information from the phone that you don't want the new subscriber to have, such as your contacts, text messages, stored photos and your online album.